Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cranberry Almond Bar / Blondie Recipe

Cranberry Almond Blondie
Cranberries and almonds are great together. This was my first time trying it, and I had some doubts. I thought the sweet slightly tart cranberries could overpower the mild almonds. But I was wrong, thankfully. Not only did the cranberries behave when in the almonds company but they made the bar look nicer. Baked goods dotted with red cranberries is appealing to the eye. 

Cranberry Almond Blondie

I used dried cranberries because they are in season throughout the year! Fresh ones should work just as well. And what do you do with almonds? If you pulverize them it will add moistness. If you finely or coarsely chop them it will add crunch. I couldn’t decide which would be better, they both sound good so I did both. 

The recipe below is how I made it. Next time I will double the amount of cranberries and almonds, and sprinkle more almonds on top.  

Cranberry Almond Blondie

Adopted from here.

Ingredients
¾ cup sugar
1 cup flour, sifted
2 medium sized eggs
¼ cup butter or oil (or mixture of both)
¼ cup dried cranberries, left whole or sliced
¼ cup almonds, pulverized or chopped or both
1 tablespoon vanilla or almond extract
Pinch of salt


Directions
  1. Grease an 8 inch square pan or loaf tin
  2. In a bowl beat sugar, eggs, butter/oil and vanilla until the mixture is pale and fluffy. 
  3. Stir in flour, almonds, cranberries and salt and mix until incorporated. I saved some cranberries and almonds for sprinkling on top 
  4. Bake at 160°C / 320°F for about 20-25 minutes until set in the middle. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
  5. Cool completely before cutting.
Cranberry Almond Blondie

1 comment:

  1. Cranberry and almonds is such a great combo.. This sounds lovely! Thanks for this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...