Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hasselback Potatoes (Hasselbackspotatis) Recipe

Hasselback Potatoes
These hasselback potatoes are named after a Stockholm restaurant that first introduced them. They are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and incredibly easy to make. Those in the photo above don’t look golden and crispy, that’s because I left the skin on and went easy on the butter and oil. But you don't have to.

It is probably not correct to compare these to baked potatoes, and perhaps politically incorrect to say these are better than baked potatoes. Hasselback potatoes are different from baked potatoes, and better.

Because Hasselback potatoes are sliced before baking the oven to plate time is faster than baked potatoes. And they look nicer than baked potatoes. Yes, still comparing.

Strangely enough I have never seen these in any restaurant in Stockholm. I never knew this existed until I saw it in a blog. Its such a pity since its such a great side.


Adopted from recepten.se

Ingredients
8 large or 12 medium sized oval-shaped potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
2 tablespoons butter or oil, or a mixture of both
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan (optional)
2 tablespoons bread crumbs (optional)

Directions
  1. Thinly slice the potatoes but don’t cut it all the way across. Cut around ¾ of the way down. I placed the potatoes in between chopping boards to avoid cutting all the way through.
  2. Pull the slices of each potato gently apart, without separating them. Place them in a greased casserole dish or baking tray. Place bits of butter on top of each one, or brush with oil. Sprinkle salt.
  3. Bake at 225°C/435°F for 30 minutes, basting once or twice with the butter or oil that accumulates in the bottom of the pan.
  4. Sprinkle potatoes with grated parmesan and bread crumbs. Return to oven and bake for an additional 25 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of these & definitely need to try them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these potatoes on a few blogs, and they look better every time I see them! What a gorgeous side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hasselback potatoes! I've made them only a couple of times before, but I've always enjoyed them... Thanks for sharing :) I think I'll make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so easy to do. That's a great tip to put the potato between two cutting boards!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...