Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hot Mocha Fudge Cake Recipe

Hot Mocha Fudge Cake


Even though the recipe for this cake comes from the Cooking Light magazine, it is certainly not light on flavor.  On the contrary, the cake is quite rich with a very deep flavor. The flavors linger in your taste buds well after the cake is gone. Coffee does help in intensifying the chocolate flavour. 

The cake is slightly gooey inside, with a crispy crust. It is incredibly easy to make. And the batter can be refrigerated for up to 2 days, or perhaps even more. This is convenient, especially when you want to wow your guests, refrigerate the batter and bake when your guests arrive. Make extra. The recipe says it serves 10 but I don’t believe that. I've also read comments about licking the bowl clean. Its tempting but licking a ramekin is no easy feat. 

Some notes and observations:

  1. If you want these cakes to be more gooey, bake it for a shorter time, such as 15-17 minutes.
  2. The recipe suggests that the chocolate be finely chopped. In the comments many readers suggested coarsely chopping the chocolate instead. I didn’t test the recipe using both methods, I did a combination of finely and coarsely chopped. I think I would prefer coarsely chopped chocolate since it would be nice to find bits of melted chocolate in the cake
  3. Dark chocolate is recommended. I only had milk chocolate at home so I made up for it by using more cocoa powder and less flour. It worked great.
  4. The recipe suggests using 4-ounce ramekins. My ramekins are bigger, it worked fine. I think its also possible to bake the cake in a cake tin instead of individual ramekins
  5. The cake is sweet. If you prefer less sweet, use ½ cup sugar instead of 2/3 cup. I used less sugar than suggested and it was fine for me 
Adopted from Cooking Light (December 2008) via my recipes. The recipe received rave reviews, and I can see why.


Hot Mocha Fudge Cake

Ingredients
¾ cup flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
5 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs (the original recipe suggests 1 cup egg substitute)
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2.6 ounce (75 grams) dark chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Directions
  1. In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt.
  2. Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Add granulated and brown sugars, beat until well blended (about 5 minutes).
  3. Add egg and vanilla, beat until well blended. 
  4. Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture; fold in chocolate.
  5. Divide batter evenly among 10 (4-ounce) ramekins. Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 21 minutes or until cakes are puffy and slightly crusty on top. Sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar; serve immediately.

Hot Mocha Fudge Cake


February is #chocolatelove month!

Please join in on the #chocolatelove fun by linking up any chocolate recipe from the month of February 2012. Don't forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #chocolatelove event! The twitter hashtag is #chocolatelove :).



Cohosted by:


44 comments:

  1. I want some! I love how gooey it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful chocolate treat! I think it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence, I've also made a recipe from Cooking Light via My recipes!We both were thinking alike :)Your cake looks so delicious and tasty!Perfect chocolate treat!Glad to be doing #Chocolate bloghop with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like the perfect chocolate treat! A gooey chocolate cake with a little vanilla ice cream is one of the best desserts I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually vanilla ice cream would have been perfect with the hot/warm cake

      Delete
  5. Yum...good tips, I appreciate you adding in those. Sounds and looks totally delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I was hoping I'd find a view of the lovely insides of this cake here. Looks great! I might give this a go. And it'll go even better with some vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, vanilla ice cream would have been perfect, wish I had some

      Delete
  7. perfect for a winter day! i love some melted chocolate in mine too

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fantastic! I will certainly try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look really good, and if they are "healthy" I would so eat two;p

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks heavenly tasty! I love mocha , I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks delicious! i love the little ramekins you used. expresso powder with dark chocolate? yum!!! sending some #chocolatelove to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the chocolate cake the perfect ending to any great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this cake! I commented on Three Cookies but wanted to come over here as well. Glad to be co-hosting with you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man, these look fantastic! And double bonus that the recipe comes from Cooking Light :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks really great! Love that it is a light recipe, too! I bet it tastes super with some vanilla ice cream! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Cooking Light, and this Hot Mocha fudge cake. Great combo with espresso and chocolate. Sending #chocolate love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh! i Love cooking light too! you can't go wrong with chocolate and mocha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally not going to lie, I oooh-ed and aaaah-ed over the picture for a long time :) I'd love mine gooey, thanks for including the side note on how to achieve that! :)

    Dropping by to share some #chocolatelove! Glad to be co-hosting with you!
    Cindy
    (Vegetarian Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anything with the word fudge gets my vote! In honor of #chocolatelove, today is the last day to enter my 4 chocolate inspired giveaways! http://cookingwithbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/foodie-love-for-your-foodie-lover.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. i like the idea of crispy on the outside but soft and goey on the inside :) YUM!

    great read and thanks for the tips! i have learned something new today :)

    thanks for sharing!

    more #chocolatelove your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this looks incredible! So moist and rich, I'll definitely have to try my hand at this recipe. This #chocolatelove bloghop is going to make me fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound incredible and easy too! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That cake has set my brain buzzing, I really want to make it right away. Sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. Now I want to eat this again...been a while since I had it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...