Thursday, December 13, 2012

Swedish Red cabbage (Rödkål) Recipe


Swedish Red Cabbage (Rödkål)
This braised red cabbage dish is usually part of the Swedish Christmas table. Its popular in other Scandinavian countries. I also heard that Germans prepare something similar, and I presume other European countries make some version of it. There are many different versions made in Sweden. The recipe below comes from Per Morberg, a Swedish actor, chef and news presenter.

Braised red cabbage might sound dull and boring. Not this version, the sweet and acidic flavours are quite addictive. I couldn’t stop eating them. The salad is quite refreshing, and of course cabbage is good for you as well.

I wasn’t sure whether I found the cabbage a bit too sweet for my liking, I am undecided. That’s just my personal preference, I might prefer slightly more acidity and less sweetness. Next time I will half the about of syrup.

Swedish Red Cabbage (Rödkål)


Adopted from recept.nu

Ingredients
1 red cabbage, about 0.5 kg
1 onion
2 apples
4 tablespoons syrup or honey (you can use syrups such as maple, dark or golden)
4 tablespoons red currant jelly (or any other jelly such as strawberry or raspberry)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or substitute with red wine or balsamic vinegar)
5 pcs cloves, ground
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Shred the cabbage. 
  2. Peel and slice the onions and apples
  3. Heat butter over medium high heat in a large saucepan
  4. Sauté cabbage, onions and apples until onions turn soft
  5. Cover and cook until cabbage turns tender
  6. Add jelly, syrup or honey, vinegar, water, and cloves and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste


2 comments:

  1. This dish really sounds very interesting! At first I thought it was a beetroot and know that I read the recipe I'm sure the ingredients would taste great with beetroot too!
    I am wondering if braising red cabbage wouldn't be also a good way to get rid of bad red wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you have mentioned, it does look like beetroot. I think it will work really well with beetroot also, great thinking.
      I suppose instead of water you can use red wine for extra flavour and luxury (and not tell anyone it was bad wine). The jelly and spices would mask some of the bad wine flavour, hopefully!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...