Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mocha Meringue Recipe


Mocha Meringue

These meringues are the chewy type, actually the very chewy type. I suppose if you bake longer, it will get more crispy, but I didn’t try this.

I find standard meringues to be overly sweet so I used less sugar, and it turned out fine.

By the way, perhaps I am a little biased but these meringues look like something sitting on the side of the road that you don't want to eat, let alone step on. Once you get over the hesitation and actually try it, you won't be disappointed. I am referring to the mocha meringue, in case this was not clear. 

What would go well with this meringue is a new product from Arla, soft ice cream. See this link if you are interested in testing it.





Ingredients
1 egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa, sifted
½ teaspoon instant coffee
¼ teaspoon white vinegar

Directions
1.      Heat oven to 120°C/250°F
2.      Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3.      Add sugar a little at a time and continue beating until sugar has dissolved.
4.      Gently fold in cocoa, coffee and vinegar.
5.      Place the mixture on a sheet of baking paper. Bake for 45 minutes, turn off oven and let meringues cool in the oven for 1 hour. Do not open the oven door while the meringues are cooling.



Mocha Meringue

4 comments:

  1. I love meringues and the mocha flavor is such a fun twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised to learn a low-sugar meringue has worked, but it's great news to me! (I have never liked meringue because of its high sugar content). Cocoa and coffee sound like and excellent flavouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked, probably only just! I had the meringue with some sweet sauce - can't remember what - very bad idea. It became sickly sweet

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...